Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In Memory

We went out of town for the Memorial Day weekend, but we couldn't leave without visiting our beloved Dan's headstone first. Here are my kids at the East Lawn Cemetery. It was an evening visit after baths (note the wet hair and PJ's), but it was lovely and serene. On Memorial Day every year, we visit Dan Heath and Great Grandparents Brinton at the East Lawn Cemetery. And then we visit the entire Taylor and Fisher clan at the Provo Cemetery, most especially my beloved Grandma Laynie.

I have fond memories of my Grandma Laynie taking me to the Provo Cemetery every year on Memorial Day and walking me up and down the rows and rows of family members' headstones. She carried a mason jar in her hand and carefully watered all the plants on each headstone, trimmed the surrounding weeds and lovingly brushed the grass clippings from their names. Her arthritic, bony fingers would point out each name as she would tell me each of their stories. These were her people and she was so proud of her heritage. She embodied the spirit of family history and genealogy. And she somewhat lit the fire in me. I get a little choked up every time a visit a loved one's headstone now. I know they're not there, and yet it provides an opportunity to reflect on their life and what they meant to me.