Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual, but it's the thought that counts, right? Happy Father's Day to my father. He is a cryptic fellow to most, but because we are cut from the same cloth, I get him. And I appreciate him more everyday.

While at first glance he may seem intimidating, those who know him best all admit he is one of the sweetest men they know. He is sincere and heartfelt, but brutally honest. He is aloof and stoic, but genuinely friendly and endearingly tender. He has strong opinions and deep convictions, but is supportive and concerned. He doesn't believe in niceties or pretense, but admires and respects anyone willing to earn it. He is a man's man, but suprisingly feminist. He is incredibly intelligent, but witty and funny. He is not effusive or gregarious, but consistent and constant.

I love my dad for always being a champion for my cause, whatever it may be. He has taught me the value of work, education, and sincerity. He is an amazing grandpa, and it has truly been one of the sweetest experiences of my life to witness the bond he has with my children, particularly Fisher. Happy Father's Day, Dad.