Friday, April 3, 2009

Laundry Day

My cousin Jenny recently posted a picture of her husband's color-coordinated closet and a description of his tidy sock drawer. Thanks goodness for him he's not married to me. It's a miracle my own husband stays married to me, given the fact that his mother was a fold-as-go kind of gal. And also one of those moms who lead her kids to believe that laundry magically appeared neatly folded in their drawers when they got home from school.

I am very good at doing laundry. I am very bad at folding laundry. So, I wait until the end of the week until nine loads have piled up in our relatively small laundry room, and no one has anything to wear. Then, I enlist the help of my entire family and we catch up on Tivo'd episodes of American Idol while we sort and fold. I have to make it seem like a party. As you can see, I actually succeed in my manipulation in the inital phases. They dive into the mountains of clothes and like throwing them at each other across the room into the sorting piles.

I justify my actions by telling myself that I'm teaching them work ethic (their work ethic and obviously not my own.) Because if I had any work ethic, it would have magically appeared in their drawers days ago.