Friday, April 3, 2009

Goodbye Spontanaiety

No one who knows me well would ever use the word "spontaneous" to describe me. In fact, it might be the very last word they might choose to use. That being said, it would be nice to be capable of spontanaiety. I have come to realize that with four kids in tow it's impossible (for me, at least).

I guess it dawned on me as I readied myself for a quick trip to the cousin's yesterday for a "spontaneous" playdate. My sister-in-law lives approximately six blocks from my house, and I intended to stay for only one hour. It should have been the simplest thing ever. And yet, I am met with, "I can't find my shoes," "Where did you put my socks?" "Can I wear sandals even though its snowing?", "Do I have to wear a coat?", "I have to go potty first," "Wait, I have to take back their Pollys."

Then there's my inner dialogue, "I should take me cell phone. Where is it? Where are my car keys? Why can't they ever find their shoes? What is happening to all our socks? Probably the same thing that's happened to my cell phone. Lost! In the abyss that is my house! Then, I have to pack two different sizes of diapers, my nursing drape, buckle them all into varying sizes of carseats, etc. Ten minutes later, we're ready to leave. Sans socks.

Then, there's church. I pack for church like I'm going away for the weekend. Three bags! And I pack for the weekend like I'm leaving the country. I briefly contemplated a weekend jaunt to Idaho, spurred by my cousin's persistent promises of help. Even with such willingness to help, I was instantly deterred by the thought of the two playpens, toys, food, diapers, clothes, etc. I'd have to pack. Not to mention snacks and toys for the 3 hour car ride and the logistics of a newborn that would likely have to eat during the journey.

I'm a lightweight I know. Sarah just drove from Texas with her three boys, one of which reportedly played with the same toy the whole way here. And Natalie made a trip from London with two young kids without a spouse to help her. They also gave birth without epidurals, go figure.