Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm a Mom

Do you ever catch a glimpse of your life and wonder how you got there? Sometimes, time stands still for me and I marvel at the snapshot standing before me. Today, I captured one of those moments on camera. There I stood, with four kids covered in chocolate frosting and thought, "These are mine! I'm a mom!"

I know, I know I'm crazy. But I tell you, sometimes it catches me off guard. Sometimes I still feel like a twelve year old and I wonder how I got here. I was never one of those girls who loved baby dolls and babysitting and told people that I wanted to be a mom when I grew up. I'll be the first to admit that I was nervous when I found out I was pregnant. Though my friends always pegged me as the nurturing mother type, I doubted myself. But, as luck would have it, here I am four kids later, totally in love with them! My parenting isn't as deliberate and thought-out as it should be (let's face it, I fly by the seat of my pants!) It's not easy, it's not glamorous, it's not often validated or applauded, but I'll be honest, there's nothing I'd rather be doing.