Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ross Family Reunion

Two weekends before school started, we had an extended Ross Reunion at the Heber Valley Girls Camp. It was all of Dan's aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids.


We stayed in these great little bunk cabins and the kids had a blast! We put all the adults in one cabin and all the kids in the other. One of the greatest blessings of my kids' lives, whether they know it or not, is to have such wonderful cousins so close to them. It's a good bunch of kids we've got!


The Camp is run by the LDS Church and staffed by couple missionaries. One of our day activities was the ropes course, which required us to climb a telephone-sized pole. Once up, we walked across another pole high in the air and then zip-lined down.

I suited up with the thought, this is no big deal. I'll show my kids how unscary it is! Truth be told, I was beside myself walking cross the pole in the air. When I reached the other side, a sister missionary whispered to me that it's much like trusting in the Lord and staying focused on him through trials, etc. In a truly atypical fashion, I got choked up. Whether it was the timing of the event or sheer terror, I don't know. But it happened and I got through it!

Loryn was a total champion. She climbed right up that pole like a little monkey and marched across like nobody's business. I was so proud of her!

Sweet little Fisher didn't want to walk across the pole on the top. But who could blame him when his own mother nearly had a heart attack?

He was super brave to climb to the top, though, and then the cute missionaries gave him a little swing in his harness. I could tell he was terrified, but he was being very stoic and brave.

After the ropes course, Dan and I took the little kids canoeing. It was pretty hot, but they endured it well. As luck would have it, they were far more excited by the sandbox next to the lake.


The scenery was beautiful and we spotted a mama deer and her babies right on the shore. Dan was the master captain of our vessel. We had some pretty heated races with some other cousins!


The family reunion was great fun. Dan snuck in a quick game of horseshoes with a couple of his closest cousins, Kevin and Ryan. Dan and I both feel so luck that some of our best friends are our cousins. I feel extra lucky that Kevin married my childhood best friend, so she can be my cousin now too!