Sunday, August 22, 2010

Last Day of Summer, Day 2

Sometimes, as mothers, we have to admit that even our best laid plans end in disaster. And after today, I had to admit defeat. Total surrender. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have post-traumatic stress disorder.

I live in Utah County, which has to have the most kids AND the most cheap skates per capita in the United States. Therefore, when you announce Two Dollar Tuesday at Thanksgiving Point, when things usually cost ten dollars a person, you invite bedlam. And bedlam it was. Picture Black Friday at Wal-Mart. That's what I can liken this experience to. I'm surprised a small child wasn't trampled. When I arrived with my four children and Jeffrey by myself, I should have been daunted by the line that went AROUND the building. But NO, I can handle this, I think to myself.

So, we stood in line and made our way through the Dinosaur Exhibit like cattle. Unhappy, crowded, screaming cattle. To his credit, Fisher thoroughly enjoyed all of it. I will have to take him back by himself if I can ever recover from my PTSD.

That night, Loryn had her first soccer game of the season. And Dan and I are coaching! She did very well and it looks like we'll have a lot of fun.