Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reading and Loving

I have just returned from a Spring Break adventure with my four kids and without their dad (he was working). It was glorious and fun-filled as they revelled in the novelty of a mini-vacation. More details on all that later.
I was able to steal away a few precious moments here and there throughout the vacation to continue my reading of Emma Lou Thayne and Laurel Thatcher Ulrich’s book of essays, “All God’s Creatures Got a Place in the Choir.” It’s been a delightful opportunity to laugh, cry, and wonder. It’s been a springboard for a lot of reflection on the relationships in my life, my personal identity, my view of the world, and my testimony.
In it, Emma Lou Thayne said, "I write because nothing seems really to have happened to me until I write about it.” And so it is with me. Which means I have lost a lot of precious things because I have written them. So, here's to writing . . . and blogging, for that matter, with greater conviction!