Thursday, October 1, 2009

Eight is Great

I fear the unknown. Especially when it comes to raising my children and watching them enter the uncharted waters of new phases in life. When Taylor was a baby, I was pretty sure I wouldn't like the awkward, giggly third grade phase. My own version of that time of life is seared into my memory.

However, I am have been delightfully surprised to find myself as the very contented and proud mother of an eight year old. Taylor turned 8 this week and I couldn't be more fond of her. It has been fun to watch her develop a unique personality of her own, find her strengths and talents, and stretch her wings a bit. As she tells me about the boys at school who "like" her and asks me to download Miley Cyrus songs, I find myself giggling rather than recoiling. It's a delightful time of life and she is becoming a strong and sweet young lady.

I have already extolled the many virtues of Taylor at length in this blog, but in honor of her birthday, I must go on. Taylor is socially guarded and self-conscious, but sweet and silly with the best of her friends. She is embarrassed to admit emotion or failure (I wonder why?), but is deeply sensitive and nurturing. She is an amazing big sister. In many ways, she is an old soul. In other ways, she is surprisingly young and naive. Unlike many of her peers, she has not been eager to grow up too quickly and still has a very innocent quality. I absolutely adore her and can't wait to see what another year brings.