Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What Dessert are You?

I have never taken one of those annoying quizzes on Facebook that ask, "What city are you?" or "What movie star are you?" or even "What 90210 character are you" or the like. Maybe you have and more power to you. But I've got a new one for you. What dessert are you?

My husband loves vanilla soft serve ice cream. Of all the desserts in the world, however decadent or gourmet, he prefers plain old vanilla soft serve above all. As he was extolling its virtues the other day, I had a moment of personal clarity--an epiphany, if you will. I am vanilla soft serve ice cream.

Do you remember the dessert discussion in My Best Friend’s Wedding? Cameron Diaz is crème brulee and Julia Roberts is jell-o? Well, apparently, I am vanilla soft-serve. It all makes sense now. Not overly sweet or sour, not colorful or flamboyant, not loud or confrontational or dramatic. I have never been particularly adventurous, spontaneous, or unexpected. But, to my credit, I am comfortable, consistent, and predictable—even keeled, easy to swallow. So, there you have it, I have eliminated any need to further explain myself or to launch into any introspective analysis. I am vanilla soft-serve. And either like or you don’t.