Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day to All!

In honor of Mother’s Day I’d like to pay homage to the amazing women that have truly made me what I am. I have been blessed to be surrounded by myriad strong and lovely women throughout my life. The first and most revered, of course, being my mother.
And while no one could compete for the place in my heart for my mother, there have been hundreds of genuinely good women in my life.

You know who they are: the women you emulate, envy, and ultimately embrace as your heroes. From the pictures of seeming perfection to those who are honest in their struggles, I give heartfelt thanks to my own community of remarkable women. The grandmas, “surrogate” mothers, best friends, new friends, cousins, aunts, sisters of all degrees, neighbors, teachers, and the many objects of hero worship. Thank you and God bless you all. And Happy Mother’s Day, because whether you actually are a mother or not, you have been one to me.