Sunday, January 25, 2009

You're Gonna Miss This

So, when it comes to country music, I'm a fairweather fan at best. (unless you consider John Denver country, and then I'll have to hit you). But, I heard a country song this week that resonated with me. It promises,


"You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't passed by so fast. These are some good times, so take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this."


The premise is that we're always wishing for the next stage of life instead of appreciating the current one. I think we've all been guilty of saying, "when I'm graduated, when I'm married, when the kids are grown, when I'm retired." Whatever it is, there always seems to be something enticing about the years to come. So, internalizing the message from a corny country song, I've resolved to embrace my constant state of chaos because, undoubtedly, there will come a day when I will miss it. The house will be quiet, the house will be clean, and I will make dinner in peace. And I can guarantee that I'll long for a little one to tug on my pant leg.