Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Marathon

This year's marathon was the hottest in St. George's history. And you could feel it. I could feel it as I simply stood and waited at the finish line. I could see it as I saw a record number of people collapsing in front of me, being pulled off the course by ambulances. I could hear it in the stories of people finishing well behind their intended pace.

I was so proud of Dan for finishing the race--he is amazing. There is something very emotional about standing at the finish line of these races. I saw two blind man cross the finish line, canes in hand. I saw a man with a shriveled arm. I saw a thirteen year old finish. I saw others that had to be in their eighties. I saw one man pushing another paraplegic man in a wheelchair. I saw people literally being dragged across the finish line by national guardsman because they couldn't walk another step. I saw people's legs literally buckle beneath them in exhaustion mere yards from the finish line. I saw people come across bleeding, crying, skipping, dancing, walking, crawling. I was so proud to have a husband, brother-in-law, cousin, friends, and neighbors among them.