Thursday, September 23, 2010

Idaho!

This weekend we took a trip north for cousin Brigham's farewell. My kids were delighted to have a legitimate excuse to go visit Uncle Paul and Aunt Kathy's farm. We will miss Brigham, but he did a great job on his farewell talk and we know he will be a great missionary.
Above, Dan and the kids are standing in front of the conveyor belt that carries the potatoes and piles them up in the potato cellar. I wish you could see the ginormous, two-story pile of potatoes behind them, but it was a little dark.

I have fond memories of these potato cellars. My cousins and I would go up to the rafters and walk across the piles, trying to find ones in the shape of hearts or Mickey Mouse. Or we would simply throw them at each other. Or we would see who could run up the pile the furthest before slipping down. (probably not something potato consumers want to hear!)
That's a lot of spuds. (If you are a potato farmer, you call them spuds, not potatoes, by the way.)