Friday, May 28, 2010

Mom's Retirement Party

My mom has been a grade school teacher for 34 years and finally decided to retire this year. So, on the eve of her very last day of school, I organized a retirement open house for her in my aunt's backyard. It turned out fabulously (which I can say unabashedly because I give complete credit to all my helpers.) Lest you think I am super aesthetic or creative, I will tell you now my true gift is delegation. (sidenote: what is with my chronic lazy eye? Hence, the shocking lack of pictures of myself.)


One of my oldest and dearest friends, Natalie Pope (whom I've know since first grade), helped me with all the food. And she manned the kitchen all night. She was a real trooper and there was no way I could have done it without her. (And the super fancy tarts were ordered.)

My Aunt Maridon did ALL the decorating with absolutely no help from me. She rented the tables, chairs, and linens, and she did the floral arrangements herself with her friend. Isn't it all amazing? And I can't thank her enough for letting me use her backyard! You almost don't have to decorate at all with such a serene backdrop!
All in all, it was a lovely, peaceful night with extremely cooperative weather (it had snowed a few days earlier!) It was so fun to see so many family, friends, and coworkers come together to honor my mom.