Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Guilty Pleasure

For the record, The Bachelor is an affront to civilized and intelligent people everywhere. It is the ultimate statement that our society has reached an all-time low. We are easily amused by over-produced and contrived versions of reality. We have become a desperate generation of voyeurs. The show undermines and mocks genuine love and the importance of meaningful relationships. It commercializes sex and negative images of women and is little more than glorified prostitution.

All that said, I love it! I admit it. I find a giddy and unexplained pleasure in analyzing and criticizing all the women on the show and the absolutely embarrassing lengths they go to to "win" the heart of a totally ridiculous man. Knowing, all the while, that it will end up poorly because their time together has been a total of MAYBE a few days in totally unrealistic, glamourized circumstances all under the scrutiny of producers and cameras. I love it, love it, love it.


And I love reading my cousin Jenna's weekly blog entry that dissects the week's episode and articulates every thought I had while watching. I am deeply ashamed of myself to say that I am tacitly supporting and patronizing such an offensive form of entertainment. But everyone has a dirty little secret, don't they?