Sunday, September 6, 2009

Talkin' Bout My Girls

Loryn started kindergarten last week, which means that I get the unparalleled pleasure of watching my two little girls walk home from school together hand in hand. The first day, I waited for them outside the school, just to make sure that Taylor remembered to pick up Loryn.

They couldn't see me at first, so I was able to watch their interaction undetected. Taylor was shepherding Loryn through the throngs of children with her arm around her, proud to be the seasoned big sister. My heart melted. I could tell it took the wind out of their sails a little when they finally spotted me. So I vowed to the eagerly independent Loryn that I would never come to school to pick her up again.

My girls are a study in contrasts. Loryn bursts through the door after school with a deluge of information falling from her lips. She gives me a minute to minute rundown of everything they did that day, the new friends she made, who got their name written on the board, who did and did not follow the rules, etc. Taylor, for three years now, gives me the same tacit reply. To my prodding, "What did you do today?" She says, "Nothing."