Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day offers a flood of memories for me, good, bad, and all the way in between. As a kid, it was all excitement with the exchanging of valentine's, the making of an original mailbox, the rush of candy.

During the adolescent and college years, it became known as Single Awareness Day. But actually, my friends and I always made light of that by dressing up in formals and going out to dinner, pretending to have been stood up by our dates. Why did we do that? Who knows, but we garnered a lot of pity and a free dessert or two!

Valentine's Day 1995 was my first date ever. It will go down in the books as one of the most catastrophic and horrific dates of all time. But it definitely makes for a good story and one that is hilarious to share.

On Valentine's Day 1997, Dan and I were each dumped (probably within hours of each other) by our respective girlfriend and boyfriend. Though sad at the time, it was the beginning of us. Months later, in a conversation about those very break-ups, Dan and I started an interest in each other. And the rest is history!

Since marriage and kids, Valentine's has become a family holiday. Dan and I always go out some time that week, but we usually spend the actual day having dinner with our kids and exchanging small gifts. And I wouldn't have it any other way! This year, I had my parents, brothers, and Tiffany down for dinner as well. It was a great day.