Friday, February 4, 2011

The Parenting Handbook

There isn’t one. A parenting handbook, that is. We’re all just making it up as we go. And every year that I venture further into the parenting frontier it becomes more perplexing. Every year that passes unfolds a new issue, a new dilemma, a new question. I find myself asking almost every parent I know, “How do you handle this?” “What is your approach to that?” “What is your philosophy on such and such” Not surprisingly, even among the most exemplary parents, the answers range from one end of the spectrum to the other. This inevitably leaves my head spinning. I admire a lot of parents and families I know, but they all seem to do it completely differently. So, perhaps that is the answer in and of itself. You do what works for you and your kids. And pray like crazy it works.